Friday, August 10, 2012

Culture


Music is a good representation of what the culture is. What does this say about today's America?

Watching the Olympics, I have felt so proud of America. Proud to be an American. But when I turn on the TV or the radio, I do not feel so proud of my country. Where is our culture going? A huge percentage of music is explicit or inappropriate.  Media encourages immorality and sin. Movies, music, and even books are full of it.

Sadly, other countries are noticing this and marketing what America wants.

The other day I heard a peppy song by a British singer. I was looking it up and found the "American" version. I was shocked and horrified to hear that the "American" version has curse words that the British version lacks.

I was watching a cute music video for a British singer and again noticed there was a separate "American" video. once again, I was horrified to see how sketchy and raunchy the "American" music video was. I didn't even finish watching it. These realizations made me feel ill.

Is it not sad that Britain has noticed this? And is basing their media to us off of that? I am sure that there are other examples of this, and it is certainly not the only case.

Blimeycow just posted a video about music these days. (warning: he does talk about the sketchy stuff in music... gets a little PG-13... so just a head's up! If you are a younger reader I would suggest a parent checking it out first- which is what blimeycow suggested :)

This was an eye-opening article from pluggedin (which i highly recommend checking out their site for media reviews!). "are your teens financing the darkness?"

As Christians, what are we supposed to do about this?

I suggest reading the above article, talking about financing immoral artists. The author quotes this verse:

Ephesians 5:8 and 11: "For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light. … Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them."

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment