Thursday, June 10, 2010

"I will give you rest"

From Johnny Farese

Find rest, O my soul, in God Alone! (By James Smith (1802-1862)

"I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

There is no rest for the Christian in this world. There will be always something to disturb, perplex or distress him; it is an enemy's land.

But Jesus says, "I will give you rest." He does so by enabling us to . . .
rely on His Word,
recognize His hand,
submit to His will, and
trust in His perfect work.

He assures us . . .
that our sins are forgiven;
that we are safe in His keeping;
that His presence shall always be with us; and
that all things shall work together for our eternal good.

We can rest on His faithfulness--for He has been tried, and found faithful.

We can rest on His love--for He loves us to the uttermost.

We can rest on His power--for it is ever engaged on our behalf.

We can rest on His covenant--for it is ordered in all things and sure.

We can rest on His blood--for it speaks peace, pardon, and acceptance with God.

We can rest at His feet--for there we are safe, and can never be injured.

We cannot rest . . .
on our graces,
on our comforts,
on our friends, or
on our possessions.

We may rest on Jesus alone.

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken!" Psalm 62:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment